Saturday, February 5, 2011

my Mommy!






As I was moving files from our old PC to our new Mac (!!!) I came across this that I wrote about my mom...I am thinking I wrote it for a speech class my senior year of high school...still, so true! My mom is such a blessing to me!

Mother, according to Webster’s dictionary, is a female parent. However, in reality we all know that our mother is so much more. So what makes MY mom so amazing? She and my dad are my “earthly heroes.” My mom is someone I have looked up to my entire life. She is an amazing woman with great love and faith.

My mom has taught me what true love is. She never thinks about herself, but always puts everyone else first, and their needs before her own. When I was little I can remember thinking to myself, “How am I going to be a mommy? My mom gives me the last of her candy, or chocolate…I don’t think I could do that!” She has raised three children, all girls, and done a wonderful job. She gave up her own career to raise us and for that I will always be appreciative because I knew my mom would always be there. She showed us unconditional love. Even when all three of us would get into a fight, or not clean up a mess, or not help out, she loved us. And when things were great, and we were doing well in school, and life was going our way, she loved us. And when my world would seemed to be falling down around me, there was mom, always with open arms and love. I know that no matter what this world brings, my mom will always love me. She has taught me how to love others. My mom volunteers so much of her time that sometimes I wonder when she has time for herself, or if she has time for herself. My mom is an amazing mother and wife. She is always there for anyone in the family. When my dad comes home from a long day at work, she listens patiently with no reward of her own, when my little sister has something to complain about at school again she listens patiently. When times are tough in my life, she lets me come to her and cry on her shoulder and she offers the most amazing advice and seems to make life all better. I believe that my mom is the epitome of “motherly love,” that true, unconditional love.

My mom is also a woman of amazing faith. From day one she has taught me to say my prayers and rely on God. I can remember when I was little and it was time for bed, saying prayers with my mom. And now she encourages me to continue to grow in my faith. She has never stopped in her pursuit for heaven, so why should I? She has taught me that we only get one life to live, so live it up! Live each day as if it could be your last, and put your faith in the Lord. She has taught me that perfection is impossible on this earth, but the continual pursuit of a sinless life is what Christ calls us to aim for. She has taught me that worrying is useless, even though we are both guilty of it, because ultimately it is not in our control. She has told me that when times get tough, rely on God, because he has been faithful in the past and will continue in the future. She has taught me how to make it through my tough times with a smile on my face and in my heart, because our God is faithful. Through my mom’s own faith life she has taught me what true faith in God is all about.

I know that I desire to be a mom like my mom someday. But I often wonder if that is possible. To me she is truly “super woman.” I don’t think that mom’s get enough credit for what they do. My mom has quietly instilled a way of life in me by her example. H.W. Beecher said, “The mother's heart is the child's schoolroom.” For me this is absolutely true, as I have learned so much about life from my mom. I hope that I can put what I have learned from my mom into action in my own life and become a woman of great love and faith.

Love you Mom!

1 comment:

  1. Your mom sounds so much like my mom...Oh wait!! She's my Mom, too!! :-) Love her and you both so much!!

    ReplyDelete